Grade 8 American History
Grade 5 American History
PASS Objectives, Grades 1-12
Core Curriculum Criterion
Crescent Public School
106 North Magnolia
P.O. Box 719
Crescent, Oklahoma 73028
Last Update: 10 Jan 12 (ja)
- July 5-11, 2011 - Faculty trip to Boston and New York City
- February 2011 - Freedom: A History of US, an exhibit of American historical documents, displayed in the CPS Library during the month of February for use by individual teachers and their classes.
- October 13, 2010 - Benjamin Franklin discusses the Constitution with ES-MS students and faculty.
- October 9, 2010 - Faculty trip to Oklahoma History Center for Day at the Museum, OKC.
- October 7, 2010 - Robbie Brown presents Cicero curriculum training, CPS Library.
- October 27, 2010 - Pic of Robbie Brown speaking with CMS American History class, from Gettysburg, about the types of weapons used in the battle.
- September 15, 2010 - Cross-curriculum project planning meeting, CPS Library.
- July 12-17, 2010 - Faculty trip to Philadelphia and Gettysburg.
- May 5, 2010 - Teachers discussed book reading and the summer field study.
- April 21, 2010 - Teachers asked to read At Gettysburg, or, What a girl saw and heard at the battle.
- April 7, 2010 - Critique of the DBQ process and planning for summer staff development activity.
- March 25-27, 2010 - Faculty trip to NCHE Conference, San Diego, CA.
- February 17, 2010 - Planning how to use the DBQ process in the spring cross-curricular project.
- February 6, 2010 - State Superintendent Social Studies & Fine Arts Conference, OKC.
- January 18, 2010 - DBQ Workshop, CPS Library.
- November 18, 2009 - Critique of fall cross-curriculum project.
- November 12-13, 2009 - Oral History for the 21st Century workshop, OKC.
- October 1, 2009 - OK Council for the Social Studies conference, OKC.
- September 9, 2009 - Cross-curricular project planning.
- July 21-24, 2009 - Library of Congress Professional Development, OKC.
- June 25-July 2, 2009 - Faculty trip to Washington DC/NECC.
- June 10-17, 2009 - Faculty trip to Colonial Williamsburg.
- April 15, 2009 - Planning to incorporate summer trip into classroom lessons, CPS Library.
- March 12-14, 2009 - Faculty trip to NCHE Conference, Boston.
- February 18, 2009 - Cross-curricular project with history theme, CPS Library.
- February 11, 2009 - Teachers present at OTA Converence about using genealogy in history classes.
- December 2, 2008 - George Washington's Mount Vernon Workshop, CPS Library.
- November 21, 2008 - Planning meeting, OK National History Day, CPS Library.
- October 8, 2008 - TAH staff planning with elementary teachers, CPS Library.
- September 30, 2008 - Superintendent meeting with TAH staff and history teachers.
- September 24, 2008 - Superintendent meeting with TAH staff.
In July 2008, the U.S. Department of Education (Teaching American History Grant Program) awarded Crescent Public School $500,000 to implement an intensive 3 year professional development program supporting the teaching and learning of American history.
The program is offered to all K-12 teachers who are responsible for teaching the content of the state-required American History Standards.
The primary goal is to raise student achievement by improving teachers' knowledge, understanding, and appreciation of traditional American history.
- Students will demonstrate an increase in achievement on American History course content.
- Participating teachers will demonstrate an increase in knowledge of American History.
- Participating teachers will demonstrate an increase in American History pedagogical skills and technology use in the classroom.
History is the record of human experience, revealing how individuals and societies resolved their problems and disclosing the consequences of their choices. By studying the choices and decisions of the past, students can confront today's problems and choices with a deeper awareness of their alternatives and the likely consequences.